What changes are being brought by FSSAI in the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Amendment Regulations, 2021
What changes are being brought by FSSAI in the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Amendment Regulations, 2021:
The Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) has drafted the Food Safety and Standard (Food Products Standard and Food Additives) Amendment Regulations, 2021, to make changes to the standards for Sheep Milk, Oils, Desiccated Coconut, Wheat Flour or Resultant Wheat Flour, Millets, Mithun (Bos Frontalis), Sugarcane Jaggery and Palmyrah Jaggery, Refined Iodised Salt, Low Sodium Salt.
The following changes are drafted by FSSAI as per the aforesaid draft notification:
1. Goat Milk: The minimum Milk fat (per cent, m/m) shall remain the same at ‘3.0’ and minimum Milk solids-non-fat (SNF) (per cent, m/m) shall remain same at ‘8.0’.
2. Sheep Milk: The minimum Milk fat (per cent, m/m) shall be added as ‘3.0’ and minimum Milk solids-non-fat (SNF) (per cent, m/m) shall be added as ‘9.0’.
3. Oils: In quality characteristics new table shall be inserted namely “Absorbency in ultra-violet K270” stating variants as Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Virgin Olive Oil, Ordinary Virgin Olive Oil, Refined Olive Oil and Olive Oil and the Absorbency in ultra-violet at 270 nm and Delta K units shall be there in the table.
4. Moringa Oil: Moringa oil shall be added, which means Oil obtained by process of expressing clean and sound Moringa Seeds (Moringa Oliefera). It shall be clear, free from rancidity, suspended or other foreign matter, separated water, added colouring or flavouring substances, or mineral oil. It shall conform to some general specifications.
5. Fatty Acid Composition: Under the “Fatty Acid Composition” after the column 26 a new column shall be added for “Moringa Oil”.
6. Under Peroxide of Oils and Value Fats; Solvent Extracted Crude Vegetable Oil: (1) Solvent extracted crude vegetable oils mean vegetable oils extracted using food grade hexane from sources mentioned in standards of respective edible oils under sub regulation 2.2.1 of these regulations. The oil shall be clear, free from rancidity, adulterants, sediment, suspended and other foreign matter, separated water and added colouring and flavouring substances. These oils shall also be free from Argemone oil. (2) These oils as such are not for direct human consumption and shall be refined before human consumption. The oils so refined, shall conform to the standards specified for respective edible oils laid down under regulation 2.2.1.
7. Grated Desiccated Oil shall be substituted by Desiccated Coconut: Desiccated Coconut means the product:
(a) Prepared by peeling, milling, grating and drying the sound white kernel obtained from the whole nut of coconut (CocosnuciferaL.), having reached appropriate development for processing, without oil extraction.
(b) Processed in an appropriate manner, undergoing operations such as de-husking, hatcheting, paring, washing, comminuting, drying and sifting;
8. ‘Atta or Resultant Atta’ shall be substituted by:
a) Wheat Flour (Atta) means the product obtained exclusively by milling or grinding of clean wheat. It shall also be free from abnormal flavours, odours, living insects, filth (impurities of animal origin including dead insects).
b) Resultant Wheat Flour (Resultant Atta) means the product obtained by blending of various fractions in roller mills after separating semolina and/or maida during the processing of wheat. It shall be free from abnormal flavours, odours, living insects, filth (impurities of animal origin including dead insects).
9. A new clause after ‘Chia Seeds’ shall be inserted by the name of Triticale: Triticale is a hybrid of wheat and Rye. It shall be dried mature grains of xTriticosecale. The product shall be free from musty and stale odour or sourness and from lumps. It shall be free from fungus or insect infestation.
10. Clause 2.4.39 shall insert Papad: Papad/papadam means a product, obtained from blend of cereal flour, millet flour, pulse flour, processed soya flour, fruits and vegetables, vegetable juices, edible vegetable oils, and/or spices either singly or in combination. The product shall be free from musty and stale odour or sourness and from lumps, dirt and extraneous matter. It shall be free from fungus or insect infestation. The papad should be labelled according to the major ingredient such as in case potato/banana/jack fruit/sweet potato/tapioca is the major ingredient, it should be prefixed before ‘Papad’ on the label.
11. Shall be inserted REFINED IODIZED SALT: Refined Iodized Salt means crystalline solid material obtained from evaporation of natural brines (sea/subsoil or lake brines) wherein soluble and insoluble impurities are reduced by using mechanical processing. It shall be white in colour, free from visible contamination, clay, grit or other extraneous adulterants or impurities. It shall be fortified with Iodine as per the provisions prescribed under Food Safety and Standards (Fortification of Foods) Regulations, 2018.
12. Shall be inserted Dried Sweet Marjoram: Dried sweet marjoram leaves are obtained from the species Origanum marjorana L (Syn. Marjorana hotensis) belonging to the family Lamiaceae. The Sterns are of square section, erect and branching. The leaves are 2 mm to 5 mm in length and green to greyish in colour depending on the origin of the plant. The leaves are opposite, oblong, ovate, blunt and hairy on both surfaces. The purplish or white flowers have spoon-shaped bracts and are gathered as oblong spikelets in clusters on the ends of the stalks. The product shall have characteristic colour, odour and flavour. It shall be free from visible moulds, living/dead insects, insect fragments and rodent contamination. The product shall be free from foreign odours, flavours and any other harmful substances and added colouring matters.
13. Shall be Inserted Coconut neera: Coconut neera is the phloem sap from the unopened coconut spadix; (a) Fresh coconut neera: Fresh coconut Neera, is the sap of the coconut palm (Cocosnucifera) and obtained by tapping the unopened inflorescence of the coconut palm without additives. (b) Processed coconut neera: The processed coconut neera is a pasteurized coconut sap consumed as non-alcoholic drink.
And many other changes have been suggested by the FSSAI under this Amendment.
How to Object or Suggest Amendments?
FSSAI has publically published the Amendment of its website https://www.fssai.gov.in/
A format for raising any Objection or sending any Suggestion is given at https://www.fssai.gov.in/notifications.php?notification=draft-notification
Objections and Suggestions are open till 6th of March, 2022.